It is a priority list of requirements for users which uses cases to be done for a product to be created, maintained, and sustained. The Product Owner owns the Product Backlog and would prioritize it based on the business value or feedback of the customers.
Characteristics of Product Backlog
- The Product Backlog is an active document where all of the user requirements and wishlist are gathered.
- The user story of the Product Backlog needs to be sufficient in sizing to be able to fit in a single sprint.
- The content of the Product Backlog “User Stories” are ensured that they are defined at a detailed level by the Product Owner.
- It acts as an input for the Sprint Backlog when it comes to functionality.
- All the different aspects, such as the conditions of satisfaction and use case scenarios, should be provided for each of the user stories.
- There are issues/ bugs, themes, and user stories that are included in the Product Backlog.
- It is a wishlist for the whole lifecycle of the product. It is defined in detail to be implemented.
Sprint Backlog is a subset of the Product Backlog. For each of the sprints, the Scrum team would pick user stories from the Product Backlog. The number of a user story that is selected for a time box sprint would be based on the average velocity of the scrum team. The Product Owner sets the sprint goals.
Characteristics of Sprint Backlog
- It is dynamic, and each of the sprints is repeated. The Sprint Backlog or the Sprint goal needs to be kept as static as possible during the sprint.
- During each of the sprint planning sessions, the team would return to the Product Backlog to pick the most recently prioritized user stories.
- It is a subset of the Product Backlog.
- The Scrum Team works on how user stories are implemented for a sprint in Sprint Backlog by dividing them further into tasks and estimating them.
- The Sprint Backlog is actually the output of a sprint planning meeting.- The team can decide the user stories for the sprint from the Product Backlog to work on the ones who need to be finished first. It is possible to jump from one user story to another.
- The Development Team owns the Sprint Backlog, and it contains how and what would get delivered.
- In a Sprint Backlog team, the most prioritized Product Backlog item would be implemented into the working software. For each of the sprint, the team would create a new plan that is based on what comes at the top of the Product Backlog before working on the sprint.